Congratulations on your new dental implants, your life has been made loads better! But wait, your responsibility doesn’t end here! Agreed that your dental implants are guaranteed to function for as long as 5 to 7 years, but with proper care they can last for a lifetime! Follow these routine tips to help you maintain dental implants.
- Quit Smoking: Bad news to those who have a puff often – Smoking can seriously reduce the lifespan of dental implants, especially during the first month after surgery. Cigarette smoking can damage dental implants. Quitting smoking will not just protect your implants, but your overall health too.
- Oral Hygiene: Proper oral hygiene is to be well maintained. Cleaning and regularly caring for dental implants is important. This includes following the proper brushing and flossing techniques.
- Flossing can remove plaque bacteria between your teeth. This also keeps your gums healthy.
- As regular toothbrush would not reach interdental spaces, you can utilise interdental brushes that does the job. Brush your teeth twice a day and change your toothbrush periodically.
- Regular Check-Ups: Visit your dentist regularly. This must not be avoided by any means. Visits can be scheduled every three to six months or as suggested by your dentist. During these visits, your teeth and gums will be examined and cleaned. By using special instruments, complete oral hygiene is ensured.
- Bonus Tip: It is best suggested to use antibacterial toothpaste. Research has proved that antibacterial toothpaste has a role in the success of dental implants.
It is your responsibility to care for your dental implants. Dedicatedly follow these tips to make the most of your dental implants.